UTCB’s international partnerships have developed over the last 25 years as a result of participation in the 15 European TEMPUS projects, of which he coordinated 7. Based on the cooperation between these projects, in 1998 UTCB initiated a thematic network project. for European Civil Engineering Education and Training (EUCEET), which was coordinated by ENPC Paris and involved 132 partners from 29 European countries. During the 12 years of activity, relations between university institutions have developed and consolidated, while increasing its international visibility. Thus, new perspectives were opened, materializing by concluding new cooperation agreements with institutions from other 3 continents.
Increasing the visibility and strengthening UTCB’s position in the international community continue to be major objectives of the internationalization process. An essential role is played by the promotion of cooperation with prestigious universities and joint research projects, through the direct involvement of the Department of International Relations. In addition to the more than 60 bilateral agreements with European universities under the Erasmus + program, UTCB has various other types of agreements in place with higher education institutions in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
A list of the Bilateral Agreements and UTCB’s affiliations can be found here:
What is a Double Diploma program?
It is when two universities in the same field offer students, based on a bilateral agreement, the possibility to obtain both diplomas, without going through the entire study program at each of them. Obtaining both diplomas is conditioned by attending courses in the partner country for a minimum number of semesters and, possibly, by carrying out a practical internship. The conditions of eligibility and development of the program are different, being specified in each agreement.
UTCB’s Double Diploma programs
- The Double Diploma Agreement UTCB – Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, unique in Romania, was signed in Bucharest in 2001. Annually, a number of up to 5 graduates of the 1st cycle in the field of Civil Engineering, can follow two years of study at ENPC and a practical internship, instead of the first year of the master. After taking the PFE (projet fin d’études) in Paris, the students return to UTCB where they are completing the third semester of the master’s program. Following the dissertation, the graduates obtain both the master’s degree of UTCB and the diploma of engineer of ENPC.
- In 2016, as a result of a cooperation of over 20 years between UTCB, through the Faculty of Building Services Engineering, and the University of La Rochelle, the second Double Diploma agreement was concluded at master level, the specialization “Energetic Efficiency of Building Services ”. Within this program, a number of up to 5 students attend semesters 1 and 3 at the partner university and semesters 2 and 4 at UTCB, obtaining master’s degrees from both universities.
- Starting with the 2018-2019 academic year, the Double Diploma program at master level concluded between UTCB, through the Faculty of Engineering in Foreign Language, and the University of Liege, which benefits 3 students annually, has started. In this program, the graduate students of the 1st year of the master’s degree FILS follow the 2nd year and defend the dissertation at the University de Liege, thus obtaining both diplomas.
- In the academic year 2018 – 2019, a new Double Diploma agreement concluded between ARUT (Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities, of which UTCB is a part) and the INSA Group, which brings together 7 National Institutes of Applied Sciences and 7 National Higher Schools in France, became operational. . Interested students selected from UTCB will have an alternative school course of one year of study in France per cycle of education, starting with the 3rd year of the bachelor’s degree, obtaining at the end of the program, in addition to UTCB bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and the diploma as a graduate engineer at a university in the INSA group.
Founded in 1948 at Imperial College London, IAESTE is a non-political, independent and non-governmental association made up of National Committees whose main mission is to ensure the operation of an exchange program for student internships. The association offers on the one hand to the students internships specific to the field of study and, on the other hand, it offers to the companies that receive the students in practice, motivated young people, eager to raise their level of training in the chosen profession.
Each member collects offers from employers willing to receive students from abroad for internships, as a complementary activity to university education. Internship offers between members operate on a reciprocal basis.
Students are selected by their universities and they have to meet the employers’ requirements, which are stipulated in their offers. Details of the selected students are then sent to employers for approval.
Bidding companies and institutions pay students an allowance to cover their subsistence costs during the internship. The costs of transport to the host country and personal insurance during the traineeship shall be borne by the trainee.
The IAESTE Romania Association is an NGO created to continue the activity supported by the International Relations Office of the Ion Mincu University of Architecture and Urbanism in collaboration with IAESTE International for 10 years and which represents Romania in this program. In 2008 IAESTE Romania, in which UTCB is partner, became a full member of IAESTE International.
- to provide students with practical experience relevant to their studies;
- to provide qualified and motivated trainee employers;
- to be a source of cultural enrichment for both trainees and employers.
The IAESTE program is open to any student who wishes to do an internship abroad, if he / she has completed the first semester of study and has the level of technical and linguistic skills required by the employer.
The availability of the places number depends on the offers received, which are announced and posted, annually, on the site.